Week 8 Match Reports

By David Evans

Hanborough return to winning ways with narrow win over Carterton

Premier Division

All the goals came in the first half as Hanborough held off an in-form Carterton United side to earn their third win of the season. Boro took the lead thanks to Craig Johnson’s early goal. A miskick by Corey Kelly in the Carterton goal fell to Johnson and he was calmness personified in slotting the ball into the corner. Carterton were soon level as Conner Townsend’s sixth goal of the season brought the away side back to level terms. The game proved to be end to end with plenty of chances for each side but Boro would strike the telling blow. Craig Johnson and Alpha Breezy Kamara worked the ball well and eventually found Jack Clarke, who hit a ferocious strike that was simply too hot for Kelly to stop in the Carterton net. The second half saw no further goals, Carterton pressed for an equaliser which left them vulnerable to Hanborough’s counter attack but both defences held firm as Hanborough joined Carterton on 10 points for the season.
The gap at the top extended to six points after RAF Brize Norton romped past Milton under Wychwood to maintain their unbeaten start to the season. The reverse fixture was only played two weeks ago and a solitary Dave Wanless strike stole the points for Brize. This time it was goal scorers galore with six different scorers finding the net. Dave Wanless hit two this time and was matched on the day by Callum O’Brien, scoring his first goals in men’s football at the tender age of 17! Dave Rabbich, Ross Henderson, Rich Hall and Sam Jarvis all scored one each for Brize’s biggest win of the season to put a significant gap at the top at this early stage.

Charity Cup

Four sides found themselves in Charity Cup action at the weekend, with 50% advancing to the next round.

Enstone won the all Witney and District tie against Stonesfield to gain revenge on their recent league defeat. Stonesfield took the lead, slightly against the run of play as Jordan Newman powered a header home from a corner. Enstone equalised ten minutes later from their own corner, Dan Newman taking advantage of Mike Phipps’ flap at the ball to prod home from close range.
The sides started the second half level and Stonesfield almost took the lead for a second time, James Mathias’ strike cannoning off the post and bouncing to safety early on. Eleven minutes had passed when Enstone took the lead for the first time. Andy McCabe heading home from a fine cross to put Enstone on top. From there Enstone dominated and scored twice more to round off a handsome victory. Jordan Godfrey with another headed goal after a superb Dan Bott cross earned the home side some breathing space and with fifteen minutes to go, Shane Probbitts fired home to make sure of victory.

A Jack Wood hat-trick put Hailey through to round two after a win over Marston Saints. Tom Gregory and Tom McCudden both scored one each in the 5-2 win.

Heyford Athletic suffered penalty heartbreak against Oxfordshire Senior League’s Yarnton. Yarnton won the competition back in 2022 but were made to work very hard by our Division One outfit. It was 1-1 at full time but Yarnton snuck through on penalties, winning 4-2 in the shootout.

Division One

An eleven-goal thriller and a second half fightback saw Brize Norton stun the league leaders Chadlington in a stunning upset. Brize, hammered 8-1 by Aston the week previous, may have approached the game looking for damage limitation against the league’s top scorers so far this season. Indeed, it all seemed to be going to plan during the first half. Hans Korge had Chadlington ahead inside 60 seconds and had doubled his tally by the 25th minute. Oliver Jordan and Alfie Peachey both scored in the last ten minutes of the half as Chadlington led 4-2 at the break. But Brize showed tenacity and team spirit after the break to mount a surprising fightback and dish out Chadlington’s first home loss of the season, eventually scoring four in the second period to win 6-5. Dylan Briggs, Matt Webster and Joe Hatt all scored twice in the win. Alfie Peachey got Chadlington’s fifth but couldn’t stop the defeat.

Ducklington also scored six for victory but did so in much more comfortable circumstances. Their defence was in a stubborn mood and refused to concede against Eynsham whilst scoring at will at the other end. Harvey Butler scored twice with further goals from Ady Kew and George Townsend. Ben Stanley and David Pryse both scored from off the bench for Duck’s third win of the season.

Tower Hill remain in second but closed the gap to Chadlington with a 5-1 win over bottom side Spartan Rangers. John O’Neill scored for Spartan but a Tom Costley brace, a Spartan own goal, and further goals from Sam Doherty and Fenn Carey gave Tower their fourth league win in a row.

Daniel Townsend’s strike earned Witney Royals all three points over Bampton. They remain third and are now just three points off top spot.

Second half goals gave Aston a 2-0 win over Cassington. Lewis Scott and Tomasz Mazur both found the net to move Aston into fifth spot.

Jack Busby Memorial Trophy

The seven remaining first round ties took place in the Jack Busby trophy. Holders Hailey Reserves had already made their way into the quarter finals last week and the quarter final line up was completed on Saturday afternoon.

The two Division Two sides advanced through against Division Three opposition.
Witney Royals Reserves required extra time to see off Division Three strugglers Eynsham Reserves. Royals surged into a 2-0 lead thanks to Dan Milner and Michael Woodward’s goals but Eynsham hit back and equalised late in the second half to take the game into extra time thanks to Morgan Oxendale and Chris Baldwin. Ben Norris gave Eynsham the lead for the first time in the first period of extra time but Ian Barrett rose highest at two different corners in as many minutes to turn the game on its head and send Royals through.

Milton under Wychwood Reserves advanced in more relaxed fashion. Their 7-2 away victory over Spartan Reserves put them into the last eight with ease. Ryan James’ hat-trick was the perfect contribution from him and he was joined on the scoresheet by Mitchell Constable, Jason Hester and George Ford. A Spartan own goal topped off a miserable afternoon for the home side although Jack Ryan Estus-Bird’s brace added some respect to the score line.

The top two sides in Division Three both advanced without incident.
Aston Reserves beat Bampton Reserves 3-0. A Reece Wain double and a Lewis Gardner goal put them in the hat for the next round.
Heyford Athletic Reserves earned their seventh win in all competitions this season. Their 2-1 win over Yarnton B placing them in the last eight. Jack Campbell and Joe Haynes’ goals putting them through. Chris Marsh’s response was too little for Yarnton.

Kingham Reserves beat Faringdon A to go through. A 5-1 win thanks to Mitchell Faulkner (2), Ellis Godin (2) and Lewis Pretorius puts them into Monday’s draw. John Curtis notched Faringdon’s consolation.

Jayden Chapple and Ethan Barrett shared doubles in the tie between Stonesfield Reserves and Tower Hill Reserves. Jonny Newton scored a third for Stonesfield to earn them a narrow victory.

Highest ranked team Hanborough Reserves received a walkover victory against Leafield Reserves.

Teams in the quarter final draw for the Jack Busby Memorial Trophy (teams listed in order of league placement).
Hanborough Reserves
Hailey Reserves
Witney Royals Reserves
Milton under Wychwood Reserves
Heyford Athletic Reserves
Aston Reserves
Stonesfield Reserves
Kingham Reserves

Division Two

Three of the top four won again this week to carry on their momentum this season.
Moreton Rangers are still top after a 4-0 win over FC Mills. Mills started the day third but failed to find a way past the Moreton defence. They did restrict Moreton to only four goals but Moreton have now scored 34 goals in their first six fixtures. Tom Newbould, Martin Tomes and a Lee Brooks brace earned them their sixth three-point haul of the season.

Second place Wootton were on the right side of a nine-goal epic against Faringdon Town Development. Asha Townsend scored twice and Lee Spencer scored once. Chris Rutt, Andy Makepeace and Thomas Mackenzie-Fenwick hit back for Faringdon but Jamie McCuaig’s hat-trick took his tally to nine for the season as Wootton remain second.

CHQ United are up to third after victory over Leafield. Bouncing back from last week’s defeat to Moreton, they fired five past the boys in red. Jimmy Whiteman, John Watson and Jake Denness scored one goal each. Fabian Daniels went one better in scoring twice. Guilherme Alessi replied for Leafield.

Yarnton A have their third win of the season after squeezing past Freeland. Joey Burgess and a Liam Hare brace would have had Freeland hoping for at least a point but Yarnton hit back with an Owen Putt brace and further goals from Canio Checchia, Freddie Collins and Jacob Sheel for a 5-3 win.

Division Three

Carterton Town earned their third win of the season with a 2-0 win over Sherborne Harriers. James Harvey and William Brothwell’s goals giving Carterton back to back wins for the first time this season.

Where next?

Week 9 Match Reports Two hat-trick heroes give Prem new boys top spots at the end of October
Week 7 Match Reports Dave's double delights RAF Brize as the storm past Stonesfield

Latest photos

1 photo
My Photos
47 photos
My Photos

Witney & District FA newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.