Week 3 Match Reports

By David Evans

Hooky hammer Milton to earn first win since return

Premier Division
Three players scored two goals each as Hook Norton ran riot against Milton under Wychwood on Saturday afternoon. Milton were coming off the back of their victory over Enstone, Hook Norton still hurting after their narrow defeat to Hailey. But Hooky were fast out of the blocks and remained in control of the game from the earliest stages until the final whistle, scoring four goals in each half in an 8-1 rout. Jay Mair, Ben Haynes and substitute Cole Davis all scored twice each. Rob Vincent and Max Harris added one each on a superb afternoon in front of goal. Will Collett’s meek reply just before half-time was as good as it got for Milton on a dismal afternoon.

Raffy Rice’s hat-trick condemned Enstone to a second defeat of the season. Another fast start in this game too, Rice getting his first inside ten minutes. Halfway through the half Enstone equalised. Nathan Kelly fastest to react after an Enstone free kick hit the post and the rebound was all his.
The game looked destined to be heading into the break all level but Raffy grabbed his second in the last minute of the half to give Stonesfield the lead again. Any Enstone resistance was blown away in the opening fifteen minutes of the second half. First, Carry Rice added a third for Stonesfield for their first bit of daylight before Dan Bott got himself sent off just past the hour mark to leave Enstone a man down. It got worse ten minutes later, Rhys Warner-Carter also received his marching orders as he fouled Raffy when he was clean through on goal. To make matters worse, Raffy jumped up to take the resulting free kick and dispatched it with aplomb to complete his hat-trick. Jack Sale saved the best till last. His 30 yard rocket the icing on the cake as it found the top corner for a 5-1 win. Stonesfield move into a positive goal difference whilst Enstone sit bottom of the league.

RAF Brize Norton are the only team with a 100% record now. An early Tyler Castle goal was enough to see off Hanborough to make it two wins from two.

Hailey are second, on goal difference, after notching their second win of the season. They battled past a spirited Charlbury side who were playing the first game of the campaign. Matt Knapton and George Sulik traded braces for Hailey and Chalrbury respectively. Freddie Buckingham’s third goal of the season stole the points for Hailey in a 3-2 win.

Division One

An 85th minute winner from James Andrews preserved Chadlington’s 100% record this season as they eventually saw off Combe in a seven-goal thriller. Herbie Hamilton, Ryan Stockford and Charlie Ibbitson scored for Combe, with Oliver Jordan, Ethan Savage and Alfie Peachey responding for Chadlington before Andrews’ late effort snatched the points away.

Ducklington earned their first win, by the same score line, as they beat Brize Norton. It was 3-3 at the break, Brize finding the net through Joe Hatt, Matthew Webster and Alfie Gardiner. Ducklington went one better during the 90 though, Ady Kew, Harvey Butler, George Townsend and substitute Charlie Fisher all scored once in the 4-3 win.

Back to back victories have pushed Witney Royals into second place in the table. Daniel Townsend’s double gave them a 2-0 win over Tower Hill.

Three teams are tied on five points but remain unbeaten after one win and two draws so far.
Aston are in third spot after a 1-1 draw with Spartan Rangers. Cairo Cuss’ goal cancelled out by Che Tannock as Spartan earned their first point of the season.

Hanborough Reserves and Heyford Athletic are in fourth and fifth respectively after cancelling each other out on Saturday. A goalless ninety minutes earned both sides a second draw of the season.

Hailey Reserves have their first point of the season as well, earning a difficult point away to Bampton United. Connor O’Shea’s brace would have had Bampton hoping for a second win of the season but Moh Semlali’s third goal of the season and a goal for Wasim Alissa gave Hailey a share of the points.

Eynsham are bottom and without a point after a third consecutive defeat. They fell to Cassington Rangers in a 3-1 reverse. Dean Mays scored in the 23rd minute with Zack Neville replying for Eynsham. Neal Hobday gave Cassington the half time lead with his goal seven minutes before the break. Declan Green scored less than two minutes into the second half to give Cassington daylight and they saw out the rest of the game for their first win of the season.

Division Two
Owen Putt’s four-timer helped Yarnton to the biggest win of the day, as they swept aside Witney Royals Reserves with a 9-0 win. Henry Payne and Michael Trafford both scored twice on a productive afternoon for the visitors. Alex Hickman finished off the scoring for Yarnton.

Three teams scored five for victory in Division Two.
Faringdon Town Development had a Richard Evans hat-trick to thank for a comfortable win over Milton Reserves. George Ford did get one for Milton but Ronnie Platt and Daniel Opoku-Amoateng scored one each to keep Faringdon top of the league with a 100% record.

Wootton Sports sit second and are also at 100% as they inflicted a first defeat of the season on FC Mills. It was only 1-0 at the break, Lee Spencer’s goal on the half hour mark giving a Wootton a narrow lead. After the break it was one-way traffic for Wootton. Jack Peas fired home just five minutes after the restart and Jamie McCuag was off the bench to score twice in ten minutes to make it 4-0 by the hour mark. It stayed that way until five minutes from time, Asha Townsend’s goal making it 5-0 in a resounding home win.

Chris Hirons is top of the goal scoring chart in Division Two as his four-goal haul helped Siege dispatch Leafield. Leafield has plenty of possession and chances but failed to beat the Siege keeper during the ninety minutes. Danny Brearley added a fifth in the 5-0 win.

There were five goals at Hatherop as CHQ United and Kingham faced off in a much tighter contest. Mitchell Faulkner and Damian Corbin scored for Kingham but United went one better thanks to Troy Weaven, Ben Saunders and Jason Cobb.

Bourton Rovers have their first win of the season thanks to a hard-fought win over Freeland. Andy Stinger’s double was enough for the points despite Rob Frost getting a goal back for Freeland.

Division Three

A first half blitz helped Deer Park Rangers maintain their good start to the season as they eventually ended up beating Leafield Reserves 7-1 on Saturday. Last week they scored seven in the first half, this week it was five as the game was put to bed before the half-time break. In fact, the game was pretty much over in the opening 5 minutes. Josh Carter, Sam Wright and Ben Madley were all on the scoresheet before the sixth minute. Cullen Angus moved onto six goals for the season by scoring twice in four minutes and that was the lot before half-time. A much more serene second half followed, just the two goals in two minutes for Ben Delnevo, just past the hour mark for Rangers, completed their scoring. There was still time for Kam King to get a consolation goal for Leafield but the result was already safe and Deer Park have already amassed a +17 goal difference.

A second half onslaught brought Sherborne Harriers the points as they moved up to fourth in the table. It was 1-1 at half-time with Spartan Rangers Reserves. Who else other than Josh Betteridge had Sherborne ahead in the seventh minute, James Macke equalised for Spartan with just five left to go in the opening period. Whatever was said at half-time worked for the Harriers as they then went on to score five without reply in the second half. Daniel O’Toole got his first in the 55th minute before Betteridge doubled his tally eleven minutes later. O’Toole got a second of his own in the 76th minute to secure the points. All that was left to see was who might get their hat-trick and Betteridge won that little internal battle in the 80th minute. A Spartan own goal completed the scoring and Sherborne have their second win of the season.

Jordan Blackstock’s hat-trick ensured Aston’s 100% start to the season continued as they beat new boys Yarnton B at Aston. Ethan Penny and Oliver Pike scored one each for Yarnton to make the game a contest but Connor Henderson-Sowerby’s third goal in two games gave Aston a 4-2 win.

Heyford Athletic Reserves beat Bampton Reserves by the same score line to also keep their record at 100% as well. Leon Smith and Martin Cripps fired in for Bampton but they were cancelled out by Connor Mills’ double. Jamie Hadley and Xander Cameron added the extras to give Heyford all three points.

Tower Hill Reserves and Eynsham Reserves picked up their first wins of the season.
Ian Wright’s double gave Tower all three points away at Faringdon Town A. Sean Cato scored for Faringdon with Sam Doherty adding a third for Tower in a 3-1 win.

Eynsham Reserves and Carterton Town played out a seven-goal epic at Monahan Way. Tyler Webster, James Harvey and Cameron Mathieson all scored one each in an attempt to maintain Carterton’s unbeaten start. Eynsham went one better though. Lewis Wild and Matthew Hughes-Dahill scored once with Ashley Cooper’s brace giving Eynsham a 4-3 win.

Stonesfield Reserves are also off the mark, without kicking a ball. They received a walkover victory against Kingham Reserves

Where next?

Week 4 Match Reports Prem top four separated by just a point after leaders cancel each other out
Welfare / Safeguarding Info for all clubs

Latest photos

1 photo
My Photos
47 photos
My Photos

Witney & District FA newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.