Witney & District Football Reports - Week 25

By Ant Barlow

Written By David Evans

Milton exit Junior Shield following semi-final defeat.

John Fathers Junior Shield
Milton-Under-Wychwood fell at the final hurdle of making it an all Witney and District Junior Shield final as they succumbed to a 2-0 defeat against Chasewell Park.
Once again the fixture was played on neutral ground, at Banbury United under the floodlights.

Milton spent the early part of the game under the cosh but managed to deal with the decent opposition and the tough wind. They worked hard to ensure that they managed the early pressure and slowly grew into the game as the first half grew older. However, all their hard work was undone by the weather as a 40 yard effort from a Chaswell player got caught in the wind and flew into the back of the net.

It stayed that way until half time where Milton made three changes at the break to try and bring themselves into the game.

Chasewell Park were always going to be tough opposition, the only side to have defeated Premier Division Hailey since November, but Milton kept them honest throughout the match and managed to keep things tight, which they managed to do.

The difference maker came with 15 minutes to go as Chasewell notched their second of the game to all but end the tie and so it finished 2-0. Milton represented the Witney and District proudly and gave a very good account of themselves on the night.
The Junior Shield Final will be played on Saturday 27th April at Kidlington FC. Kick-off is at 7pm.

Premier Division
Carterton Rangers went down to ten men inside ten minutes but battled to rescue a point in their relegation battle against Spartan Rangers. Adam Lee was given his marching orders for deliberate handball whilst stopping a clear goal scoring opportunity to leave the bottom club a man down with the majority of the match left to play.

The drama didn’t end there as both sides were awarded penalties during the game which both sides then promptly missed. Cody Davies the culprit for Spartan and Ben Pearce was Rangers’ villain from twelve yards as both sides failed to find a winning goal.

Alongside all that, there were still four goals in the game as both sides looked to strengthen their survival hopes. John Clarke and Frank Clarke scored one each for Spartan but ten man Carterton hit back through Liam Day and James Barker to finish the game two apiece. The result leaves Rangers bottom still, with Spartan two places ahead in eighth.

Josh Hunt hit a double as Charlbury continued to keep the pressure on league leaders FC Hollybush. Charlbury ran out as 6-1 winners against Carterton Town A to remain a point off the top. Tristain Lang, Steve Fitzgerald, Warwick Thompkins and Mark Goode also scored to give Charlbury a boost in the goal difference stakes as well. Nick Rose replied for Carterton Town.

FC Hollybush are still top courtesy of a 2-1 victory over Aston. Vince Evans had scored for visiting Aston but Alex Stubbs and Craig Mays scored one each for the home side to keep them at the summit, although Charlbury have a crucial game in hand on their table topping rivals.

Division One
Robbie Cockroft was the solitary goal scorer to give Witney Royals their first away victory of the season as they stunned league leaders Stonesfield at the weekend. Royals jumped off the bottom of the league table with the three points and put themselves back within touching distance of the sides above them. Stonesfield remain top.

Bampton and Chadlington played out a 1-1 draw. Jake Pritchard scored for Bampton with Jacob Hazelwood responding for Chadlington.

Supplementary Cup Third Round.
The quarter finals of the Supplementary Cup have been completed and the semi-final line up confirmed as all games were completed at the weekend.

Hook Norton produced six different goal scorers as they thrashed Spartan Rangers Reserves 8-0 to advance safely through. The battle of the Division Three promotion chasers would have looked a lot closer on paper but Hook Norton were clinical in front of goal as they put their opponents to the sword.

Josh Hunt and Ben Haynes both scored a brace to score half of their team’s goals. There were single goals for Jay Mair, Luke Street, Max Harris and Ben Moreby.

After facing the second placed Division Three side in the quarters, it will be the Division Three league leaders and current holders in the semi’s as Hook Norton were drawn to face Carterton Town B in the penultimate round. Carterton advanced thanks to a comfortable 3-0 victory over Bletchington. Dave Wanless, Shay Lowthian and Dan Chillington all scored to keep the defence of their trophy alive and kicking
Wootton successfully negotiated their way past the last of the Division Four sides but didn’t have things all their own way in a five goal thriller against Kingham Reserves.

Adrian Williams and Liam Barnes scored for Kingham as they looked to produce an upset but Wootton went one better thanks to goals from Lee Spencer, Charlie Dunmall and Karl Ware

Bourton Rovers Reserves complete the all Division Three semi-final line up after defeating Chipping Norton Town. They became the third side in the quarter finals to keep a clean sheet as stopped Town from scoring. Bourton scored through Ollie Sammons and Liam Williams as they advance to face Wootton in the semi-finals next month.
Division Two

A Gaz Price hat-trick put Kingham into the top two of Division Two as they comfortably secured three points against Brize Norton. Kingham leapt past Hailey Reserves as they successfully negotiated one of their many games in hand over their rivals. Dan Lay scored the fourth to put the icing on the cake in the 4-0 win. Defeat means that Brize are guaranteed a bottom two finish as their league campaign has come to an end. Kingham face Minster Lovell Reserves next week in a battle of the top two.

Siege FC closed to within a point of the top three as they comfortably eased past Witney Wanderers. They recorded the second 4-0 victory in the league with thanks to goals from Kev Lewis, Adam Maskery and an Andy Makepiece double. They’ll look to take full advantage of their final league game and try and jump into the top three.

Aston Reserves were awarded a walkover victory over Charlbury Town Reserves.

Division Four
Division Four took home the highest goal scoring league award as some thirty goals hit the back of the net in the three league fixtures that were played.

Brize Norton Reserves were responsible for nearly fifty percent of those goals as they put fourteen past FC Ascott Rangers. Lee Litton was the top scorer as he bagged four for himself but he was closely followed by Chris Greenaway who scored a hat-trick of his own. Olly Puddle notched two and there were further single goals for Chris McNeil, Kev Ridgeway, Jason Hirschfield, Paul Morrison and Darren Light as they significantly increased their goal difference. Gill Gabe scored both consolation goals for Rangers but they are now guaranteed a bottom two finish following this defeat.

Spartan Rangers A are also guaranteed to finish in the bottom two after an 8-0 reverse against Wootton Reserves. Wootton, just like Brize, produced double hat-trick heroes as Elliot Higgins and Simon Stokes both scored three. Aaron Bowerman and Danny Poole completed the scoring for seventh placed Wootton.

FC Ascott have a positive goal difference again following a 3-1 victory over Eynsham SSC Reserves. Keiran Clarke scored for Eynsham but a double for Jason Bufton and a third from Robert Harrison gave three points to the visitors.

Where next?

Witney & District Football Reports - Week 26 Written By David Evans and John Smyth (Cup)
Witney & District Football Reports - Week 24 Saturday 9th March - Written By David Evans

Latest photos

1st's Vs Charlbury
6 photos
1st's Vs Charlbury
My Photos
47 photos
My Photos
Brize Norton v Ascot FC
13 photos
Brize Norton v Ascot FC

Witney & District FA newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.