Witney & District Reports - Week 21

By john smyth

By David Evans

Fred Ford Cup

Carterton Town A advanced into the semi-final of a cup competition for the second week running after they managed to defeat Hailey, although it required extra time to do so. Town, whose only defeat of the season came against Hailey back in September, started brightly but found themselves behind after Travis O’Connor slotted home from the penalty spot. Town hit back through Michael Flavell to bring the game level before half-time. Difficult conditions made for a tough game and neither side could break the deadlock before the full-time whistle sounded and the game ventured into extra time. Carterton then managed to find an extra gear, with Dave Wanless and James Sinclair both finding net to give Town a 3-1 win. They join Witney Royals, Chadlington and Stonesfield in the hat for the semi-final draw.

Premier Division

Dave Cross smashed home a hat-trick as he helped Spartan Rangers return to winning ways against Milton. David Pryse, Mitch Constable, Frank Clarke and a Henry Clarke screamer saw Spartan hit seven. Milton responded with a brace from Alex Ayres but it proved to be nothing more than a consolation.
Carterton FC stopped a run of three consecutive defeats in gaining revenge over Carterton Rangers. Rangers, who were one of the sides to beat Carterton in a forgetful January for the league leaders, took the lead through Jamie Macdonogh, but Carterton, who hadn’t found the net in each of those three defeats, made up for lost time by hitting four in return. Alex Stubbs, Mark Threlfall, Craig Mays and Alan Woodcock all scoring once each.

Division One

Bampton United kept alive their potential push for promotion with a convincing victory over Kingham All Blacks. They recovered from last week’s Junior Shield disappointment to hit five without reply. Chris Laurence, Conor O’Shea and Jake Pritchard all found the net once before Dan Paintin bagged a brace to finish off the 5-0 win.
New signing Ben Liddle made an instant impact to Witney Royals’ fortunes after firing home a brace in their win over bottom side Bourton Rovers. Liddle’s super strike right on the brink of half-time was the goal of the game with Josh Grant adding Royals’ third. Matt Winter hit back for Bourton but there was no comeback for Rovers.

Junior Cup

A fired up Hailey Reserves overturned their first leg deficit to advance into the second round of the Junior Cup. Minster Lovell Reserves led 2-1 on aggregate but were undone by the Kings after Dan King scored and Joel King fired in two. Luke Perkins finished the scoring for Hailey to take their tally to five. Minster’s solitary response proved to be a mere consolation as they lost 5-3 on aggregate.

Division Two

Ryan Hall hit a hat-trick as Hook Norton maintained their seven point advantage at the top of division two. Hook Norton impressed throughout as they eventually ran out 7-1 winners. Jay Mair hit two for the league leaders with further goals coming from Max Harris and Tyler Bradley as Hook Norton become the latest side to reach fifty league goals for the season. Rob Hook responded for Brize in the 7-1 defeat.
A breathtaking second half took place between Ducklington and Charlbury Town Reserves as both teams battled to a hard earned point. Following a goalless first half, the second half then produced four goals, with neither side able to grab the three points. Charlbury led twice thanks to goals from Sam Cleaver and Dom Hemmings but they were pegged back each time thanks to strikes from Ady Kew and Tom Townsend as it finished 2-2.
Carterton Reserves leapfrogged Charlbury into second place with a 1-0 victory over Wootton. Two in form sides always suggested that the game would be close and that proved to be the case. The game appeared to be heading to a stalemate until Nick Rose fired in a thunderous shot from 20 yards out that beat the keeper into the bottom corner to win the game for Carterton.

Division Three

The top three all recorded victories at the weekend in convincing fashion to cement their places at the top of the league.
Bletchington recovered from their first league defeat of the season in style as they romped past bottom side Witney Royals Reserves. Jimmy Deabill and Joe Brewer both slotted home two in Bletchington’s 7-0 victory. Michael Trafford, Tom Knox and Richie Wells scored the three remaining goals for the league leaders.
Aston remain nine points off Bletchington after they also scored seven in their game against FC Mills. Despite it being second versus fourth, Aston were clinical on the day, none more so than Nick Angus who fired home a hat-trick to put Aston fully in control. James Rogers did respond for Mills but Aston pushed home their advantage with a goal each for Dave Hambridge, Luke Beauchamp, Alex Robins and Alex Murrell as the game finished 7-1.
Wootton Sports Reserves are now clear in third place after beating Kingham All Black Reserves 4-0. James Minchin and Jack Pease both scored one each for Wootton. Aaron Bowerman’s brace then sealed the points for Wootton. Kingham remain third bottom.
Lee Woodward scored the only goal of the game as Chadlington recorded a narrow victory over Stonesfield Reserves. Chadlington jumped two league places as a result of the victory, Stonesfield remain second bottom as a result of the defeat.

Division Four

Milton Reserves moved top of division four but lost their 100% record in the process. Hailey A were the opponents who ground out a hard fought 3-3 draw with their high flying opponents. It was also Hailey A’s first draw of the season, having recorded five wins and four losses in their previous nine games. Dan Hooton scored for Milton but Hailey hit back with goals from Karl Smith (2) and Henry Macke. It fell to Max Sauvagnargues to grab a brace to restore parity and ensure that Milton snatched the point which was enough to take them top of the table.
FC Ascott Rangers jumped two league places with a 2-0 victory over Spartan Rangers A. Ascott and Spartan have become very familiar with each other recently having faced off in the Supplementary Cup first round over two legs and just like the outcome of that match, FC Ascott Rangers prevailed. Steve Curran and Marshall Balmer both scoring once each as FC Ascott Rangers moved up to third in the league.

Witney & District FA newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.