Week 8 Football Report

By David Evans

A good Jay at the office for Enstone

Premier Division

Enstone find themselves back at the top of the Premier Division thanks to a four-timer from goal machine Jay Mair. Mair’s haul promoted him to the top of the goal scoring charts as well in Enstone’s third league win of the season as they defeated Milton 5-2. The game was much tighter than the final score suggests with Milton leading at one stage and it was not until the final few minutes that Enstone took over. They took and early lead when Nathan Bott flicked on a long ball and Mair picked up the loose ball and calmly put the ball past Jake Taylor. But instead of feeling sorry for themsleves, Miton took the game to their opponents and levelled when Alex Ayres cut inside the full back and skillfuly lobbed the ball over the on-rushing Danny Phillips.
Mair twice had opportunities to but Enstone back in front, but Taylor was equal to him. Also Bott saw a header from a corner hit the post and bounce safe.

The second half was barely 10 minutes old, when Milton took the lead, Josh Catling beat the offside trap and passed the ball through to an unmarked Ayres, who easily walked the ball into the net. They could not hang onto the lead for long though, a Max Bayliss cross was expertly headed into the corner by Mair. Enstone then exerted lots of pressure on the visitors goal, but a combination of poor finishing and inspired keeping from Taylor kept the scores level going into the last 15 mins. But the flood gates then opened. Mair added his 3rd from close range, before Bott scored his deserved goal and Mair rounded it off in the final stages.

Charlbury and Minster both remain winless this season but scrapped away for a 2-2 draw at Wash Meadow this weekend. Jacob Hughes and Rui Alves both scored once for Minster but Charlbury showed their fighting spirit to rescue a point through Archie Parker and David Jenkins to grab their second consecutive draw.

Hailey were gifted their second league win of the season when Hanborough had to forfeit the tie. Hailey’s three points lifts them up to second in the table. Hanborough are currently bottom as they search for some consistency this year.

Division One

Faringdon Town Development have their first win of the season, edging out Heyford Athletic in a five goal thriller, making the sixty mile round trip very worthwhile. Faringdon made a lightning fast start as they went ahead in the eighth minute, Alistair Eccleston cutting in from the right-hand side and shooting low and hard on the slick surface, saw the ball skid past the keeper and into the back of the net. Heyford were almost level instantly. Steve Roberts opting to shoot from kick-off and with the Faringdon keeper stranded he could only watch as the ball cannoned off the top of the crossbar and back into his grateful hands.
On twenty-seven minutes Heyford were level. The ball held up outside the Faringdon box was then laid back to the waiting Aaron Phipps, whose first time strike curved, swung and dipped beautifully into the top right corner leaving the keeper no chance and with Phipps swamped by his shocked team mates in reward for his effort.
Faringdon retook the lead just before half-time thanks to a Robbie Harrington penalty. Captain Tom MacNamara handled on the goal-line for Heyford, Harrington slamming the ball into the bottom corner and sending the keeper the wrong way in the process.
Faringdon looked to have sealed the points just three minutes into the second half. Matt Lawrence finding space in the area to roll the ball in to give Faringdon a two goal cushion.
It was no surprise that Heyford had the majority of possession for the last forty minutes, but never really tested the Faringdon keeper. They managed to hit the post once and some quick counter attacking created good chances that were wasted and didn’t trouble the scorecard.
That all changed in the last two minutes as they finally managed to pull one goal back. Steve Roberts firing in low and hard from the right hand side of the box. Heyford also managed to create one final attack and almost managed to force the ball home, only for the referee to blow up for a clear foul on the keeper in the build-up and the proceeding kick essentially ended the game giving Faringdon a deserved 3-2 win.

Hatherop replaced Aston in third place by beating them 3-1. Nick Angus scored for hosts Aston, but all three points went to the away side as Troy Weaven scored for the third game in a row and Charlie Bailey and Alex Anderson added the extra goals for the win.

RAF Brize Norton remain second but dropped points for the third time this season in a 1-1 draw with Tower Hill. Brize took the lead with an eighteenth minute strike from Luke Vincent but Adam Bolley equalised for Tower Hill and that’s how the game finished.

With Brize dropping points, Carterton took full advantage in the late kick-off at Kilkenny Lane against Chadlington. Playing under the lights, Carterton romped to a 4-0 victory to give themselves a three point cushion at the top of the table. Conner Townsend scored one but was bettered by Byron Townsend who scored a double for the home team. Substitute Zac Sheffield completed the scoring. The fixture list throws together third versus first next week when Hatherop host Carterton.

Hailey Reserves were boosted in strength by their first team game being cancelled, and used the additional resources well to record the biggest win in the division at the weekend as they cantered to a 7-1 win over Ducklington at Glebelands. Regular first-teamers Nathan Kimber and Jack Wood (2) got in on the goal scoring action. Gary Mitchell also scored a brace, with further goals coming from Moh Semlali and Seb White. Dan Stanley helped himself to Ducklington’s scant consolation.

Witney Royals have their first win of the season thanks to a walkover win against Combe. Those three points elevate them up to ninth, Combe drop into the bottom two.

Division Two

Thirty seven goals were scored in the six games that were played in Division Two on Saturday, with two sides winning by an 8-1 score line.

Perhaps most surprising were Freeland Reserves who recorded their first win of the season, against Faringdon Town A, by that seven goal margin, although helpfully boosted by the first team not having a game. Connor Smith’s double raised his personal tally to the season for five and he was matched in the goal scoring department by Rob Keylock. Robin Kidd, Mathew Moore and Regan Pritchard all scored one each, with Kieran McCall coming off the bench to add an eighth for Freeland. Justin Yates replied for Faringdon.

Jake Pritchard fired in a hat-trick to open his account for the season as Bampton Town were the other big winners. They thrashed Spartan Rangers Reserves by the same scoreline as they moved up to fourth place in the league. Robert Chatwell, Karl Pritchard, Danny Paintin, Cameron Bilton and Joseph Jenkins were the other scorers for Bampton. Andrew Horne responded for Spartan but the result was never in doubt.

Witney Royals Reserves remain third but lost ground on the top two as they could only manage a draw at home to Hailey A. The away side led at the break, Zac Payne’s goal putting Hailey ahead. Royals hit back through Zack Ryall before Cody Davies gave Hailey the lead again. Luke Rippington levelling the game once again for Royals as both sides left with a point.

Brize Norton are second, kept from top spot by goal difference, after they beat Leafield. Joe Hatt scored twice for the second game in a row, with Morgan Oxendale also scoring in consecutive games for Brize. Alison Demetrio and Ciao Jusius put Leafield in the game but Matthew Webster’s goal for Brize secured the points for their fifth win of the season.

Cassington stay top after a hard fought win away to Kingham. Dom Hemmings’ scored for Kingham but Jordan Lyne’s brace gave Cassington all three points to keep them top, four goals better off than Brize in second place.

Eynsham won big to get their first win of the season. Doubles for both Ash Bowerman and Ben Oates set them well on the way to victory against Milton Reserves. George Ford hit back for Milton but Peter Edwards’ strike gave Eynsham a 5-1 win for their first three point haul of the campaign.

Division Three

Just two points separate the top four in Division Three as results pressed teams closer together this weekend.
In the A44 derby, Wootton travelled to Yarnton in a fourth versus first clash. Yarnton took the lead through Ethan Penney but Wootton hit back through top scorer Asha Townsend. Yarnton managed to go in at half-time ahead though, Sean Dyer firing home for a 2-1 lead. The second half only saw one goal and whilst Wootton were hoping to claw back a point, Mark Harris came off the bench to secure the points for Yarnton and end Wootton’s 100% start to the season.

Chadlington are up to third, and now just one point off top spot thanks to a 4-1 win over Aston Reserves. Finlay Beggin giving Chadlington the lead in the 13th minute. George Slatter doubled their lead in the 30th minute only for Jamie Whelan to halve the deficit before half-time. Chadlington took control of the second half though and scored two without reply. Beggin grabbed his second of the game on 60 minutes and Slatter made sure of the points in the eightieth minute by firing home his second of the game too.

Deer Park Rangers missed the chance to go top after they dropped points at home to Sherborne Harriers. Rangers took the lead in the ninth minute when Jack Hamblin latched onto Harry Edwards’ pass and fired home past the keeper. Sherborne were level twenty minutes later, Rael Mills assisting Josh Betteridge to restore parity. Betteridge got his second twelve minutes later to give Harriers the lead and that’s how it stayed until half time. Plenty of action in the second half but no goals to speak of until the 76th minute when Jamie Horne grabbed a leveller. No side could find a winner in the remaining 14 minutes and both teams left with a point.

Back to back wins have propelled Kingham Reserves up the table after a 7-1 win against Eysnham Reserves. Liam Barnes followed up from his two goals last week with another goal this week. He was joined on the score card by Brandon Pearce, Dale Norris, Jake Godfrey and Adrian Williams who all scored one each. Josh Silvester went one better than all of them to score two as Kingham moved back into a positive goal difference for the season. Charlie Pearce provided Eynsham’s consolation.

Stonesfield Reserves got their third win of the season with a 2-0 win over Carterton Town. A Carterton own goal and Aaron Atkins’ strike gave Stonesfield all three points.

Tower Hill Reserves received a walkover win against Leafield Reserves to jump to eighth in the table.

Where next?

Week 9 Football Report It's Rice Rice baby as Stonesfield go big in the cup.
Week 7 Football Report Superb Stonesfield Carry on to next round

Latest photos

First team squad
18 photos
First team squad
1st's Vs Charlbury
6 photos
1st's Vs Charlbury
My Photos
47 photos
My Photos

Witney & District FA newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.