Ted Young Senior Cup Final

By john smyth

Hanborough complete the treble

In front of a big and often partisan crowd, Hanborough comfortably defeated Minster Lovell 4-0 to lift the Ted Young Senior Cup.
Minster knew they were long odds against to lift the cup and there game plan seemed to be to keep the game tight in the opening exchanges and for a while this worked. Hanborough were restricted to shooting from distance and Cody Davies in the Minster goal was largely untroubled. As the half wore on though, Hanborough stepped up the pressure and were virtually camped in the Minster half. The inevitable goal came from an unlikely source in Dan King. Davies failed to get any real length on a punch and King was on hand to fire home from 12 yards. Davies then redeemed himself a minute later superbly tipping Jack Morton's shot around the post.
Skipper Mark Norridge had Minster's only goal-bound shot in the first half. A free kick from distance had Shane Flower back-peddaling and he did well to turn the ball wide.
Morton made it 2-0 just before half time, he started a fine free flowing move inside his own half and was on hand to turn in a cross.

If Minster’s job was hard going into half time, it became almost impossible a minute into the 2nd half. Arran Hobley, skipped past a couple of tackles on the left and his pull back found Ian Steele who stepped inside another challenge and comfortably beat Davies from close range.
Minster then to there credit stepped up their game, a goal mouth scramble was put behind for a corner and Eddy Dunn’s header was easily saved and they were unlucky when Jordan Denley’s header hit the outside of the post.
The scoring was sealed when Morton did all the hard work and he set up Craig Johnson to finish the scoring and make it Hanborough 4 Minster Lovell 0 at full time.

Where next?

2017-18 Season Proposed League set up
Watts Junior Cup Final FC Hollybush retained the Watts Junior Cup

Witney & District FA newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.