Match Reports - Week 29

By Ant Barlow

Saturday 16th April 2011

Premier Division
Hanborough now need just one more win from their 3 remaining games to clinch the Premier Division title. They are within reach of the crown after a narrow 3-2 win over Witney Royals. Steve Brasier and Jamie Kennedy scored in the first half for the hosts but Richard Rouse bagged a brace with Craig Johnson adding to put the visitors within 3 points of becoming Champions.

In the unlikely event of Boro’ not reaching their 3 point target then only Spartan and Duck are likely to catch them. Each however, need maximum points from their remaining games. Spartan Rangers remain second, beating Wychwood Forest 2-1. Dave Cross and Gavin Kominek netting the important goals with Mike Duerden replying for Forest. Meanwhile, Ducklington, in third beat Charlbury Town 1-0 thanks to a strike from Jack Morton.

At the bottom, Minster Lovell’s relegation to Division One was confirmed after a heavy 7-0 defeat to Kingham AB. Matt Smith, Sam Philpotts and Gareth Price each scored two with Matt Lane getting the other for the visitors, whose win now means that AC Finstock are almost certain to join Minster in Division One next season.

Combe picked up another 3 points in the home straight of their season with a 2-1 win over a current Champions Hailey. Seb Wilsker scored for the hosts who look a shadow of the side that lifted the title last season. Jamie Fisher and Matt Baker confirmed their defeat for Combe.

Division One
North Leigh A edged a step closer to becoming Division One Champions after a weekend of results that went their way. They helped themselves to 3 points in a 5-2 win over West Witney. Tom Townsend scored two with Will Smaldon, Lee Moseley and Jason Lonsdale also getting in on the act. Paul Martin and Jamie Goodwin replied for the hosts.

Behind them, second placed FC Chequers seemed to suffer from the same end of season nerves that cost them promotion last season after going down 2-1 to Chipping Norton. Dan Bilton scored for the hosts but goals from Chris Byford and Warwick Thompkins sealed the defeat.

Chad Park, in third, only managed a 1-1 draw with FC Nomads. George Slatter scored for Chad with Kristen Johnson scoring for Nomads. However, both Chequers and Chad have a game in hand on North Leigh, and were they to win, the gap would be reduced to only 3 points with 3 games to play.

Ducklington Reserves took a massive 3 points form their game against bottom side Witney Wanderers in their proverbial ‘6-pointer’. Lee Beer, Mike Dove and Luke Woodley scored the goals to earn a 3-1 win over the visitors. A result which moves them out of the relegation zone. Kieren McPherson scored for Wanderers who needs a maximum 6 points from their last two games if they are to stand any chance of Division One survival.

Just above Wanderers in the other relegation spot, Hanborough Reserves picked up a potentially vital point from their 3-3 draw with Aston. Scott Akers (2) and Arran Hobley scored for Boro’ with Matt Brown, Phil Caswell and Kevin Alcraft netting for Aston.

FC Mills, who aren’t yet safe took another beating. This time, a 5-0 thrashing from the hands of Brize Norton. Gerard Morgan (2), Paul Morrison (2), and Dan Frizell did the damage.

Division Two
Stanton Harcourt secured their third promotion in a row and second successive title with a 4-2 win over Brize Norton Reserves. Chris King and Liam O’Brien scored for the hosts but a brace each from Martin Cripps and George Woodcock ensured that Stanton will be facing Division One opponents next season.

It’s still all to play for at the bottom where any 2 of 4 sides could fall through the trap door. However, Spartan Rangers Reserves didn’t help their cause going down 2-0 to Hailey Reserves. Ford Davies got both the goals for the visitors.

Wootton held on to the feint glimmer of hope that is Division Two survival after beating fellow strugglers, Charlbury Reserves 1-0 midweek. A single Glenn Jackson goal against his old side means that Wootton are now only 2 points from safety.

Milton came close to a valuable point however eventually went down 5-4 to Middle Barton in the closely fought match. Ashley Scearce scored a hat trick for the hosts who also scored through Nick Pickup and Shane Probitts. Milton’s goals came from Arrun Baker (2), Phil Benfield and James Beaney.

Two Rivers remain safely in mid-table despite going losing 6-1 to Hailey Reserves. Perry Tinson and Ford Davies scored two each with Callum Mutch and Nick Buckingham adding.

Division Three
Nathan Langford helped himself to a 6-goal haul in Freeland’s 21-0 thrashing of FC Mills. However Mills, who had to play with only 8 men, fought for 90 minutes but couldn’t grab a consolation goal. Freeland’s other scorers were. Sam Burton and Ian Lewis, who grabbed four each. Darius Hodaei (3), Adrian Willians (2), Will Gorman and Ryan Inch. Freeland now need just one more win to be assured of promotion.

FC Chequers Reserves who are currently in 5th place are still the only side who can catch Freeland and leaders West Witney Reserves due to games in hand. However, their promotion push took a back step at the weekend as they were beaten 6-0 by North Leigh B. Lewis Hathaway scored a hat trick with Darren Tasker (2) and Harry Adams getting the others. It’s now likely that Chequers now need to win all four of their remaining games in order to gain promotion.

At the bottom, both sides in danger of joining FC Mills in the second relegation spot took a point from their respective games. Second from last Minster Lovell Reserves drew 1-1 with Chipping Norton Town Reserves. Dean Reddington and Fraser Duffield with the goals. Whilst at Aston Reserves, Tackley also took a point from their 1-1 draw. Matt Britt scored for Aston with Dane Walker replying for Tackley.

In the middle of the division, Kingham AB Reserves drew 2-2 with Eynsham SSC. Tom Edginton and Michael Knight scored for Kingham with John Ayres and Matt Walker replying for Eynsham.

Division Four
Having already clinched the title, Carterton Pumas cruised to a 4-0 victory over Combe in their final game of the season. Adam Hodges, Dan Chillington, Dean Matthews and Darren Davenport scoring the goals.

The battle for the second promotion spot was won by FC Hollybush. They crushed Ducklington B 8-0 to finish above third placed AFC Marlbrorough. Dan Smith and Ed Brookes both grabbed a hat trick with Dan Search and Neil Haine adding.

Wychwood Forest Reserves beat Eynsham SSC Reserves 8-2 with John Smales grabbing a four timer. Chris Jones (2), Dave Anstee and Matt Herbert also got on the score sheet. Shaun Rowbotham and Paul Meredith completed their season by finding the back of the net for Eynsham.

The points were shared at Spartan Rangers A as the hosts drew 3-3 with Eynsham A. Liam Whitcombe, Tom Merchant and Nick Callagham scored for Spartan with Tom Wharton (2) and Dan Timmins netting for Eynsham.

Jack Busby Cup Semi Final at Carterton
FC Chequers Reserves held their nerve and banished the nightmare of last season’s penalty shoot -out defeat to Chipping Norton Reserves by beating Hanborough Reserves on penalties. The match was decided by spot kicks after Chequers, Steve Foster had levelled Arran Hobleys opener for Boro’.

Where next?

CHAMPIONS! Premier Division, Division Two and Division Four Champions decided.
Match Reports - Week 28 Saturday 9th April 2011

Latest photos

First team squad
18 photos
First team squad
1st's Vs Charlbury
6 photos
1st's Vs Charlbury
My Photos
47 photos
My Photos

Witney & District FA newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.