Match Reports - Week 21

By Ant Barlow

Saturday 19th February 2011

Senior Cup Quarter Finals
Kingham AB emerged victorious in their goal-rich encounter with Witney Royals. After leading only 1-0 at half time, the sides were level at 4-4 after 90 minutes. The hosts, however, found the edge in extra time netting another two times with Matt Smith completing a well-deserved 4-goal haul. Dan Davies and Dan Fudge scored the hothers for Kingham with Jamie Kennedy (2), Steve green and Steve Brasier scoring for unlucky Royals in the 6-4 defeat.

Combe also left it until extra Time before taking a telling lead against Charlbury Town. Going into Extra time at 2-2, Combe shifted up a gear and earned a 5-2 win with Martin Reeves grabbing a hat trick. Jamie Fisher and Matt Baker scored the others. Craig McCallum and Andrew Woodley scored within the 90 for the visitors.

Hanborough managed to see off their opponents within 90 minutes as they beat Wychwood Forest 2-0. Keith Frendo and Dan Haggie both found the back of the net. Dan Sollis replied for Wychwood.

Premier Division
In the only Premier Division game of the say, AC Finstock drew 0-0 with bottom placed Minster Lovell. The visitors will be the happier of the teams after picking up only their third point of the season as the hosts were left to rue a missed last minute penalty.

Division One
Mid-tabled Aston shocked Division One leaders FC Chequers by running out 3-2 winners and in doing so inflicting Chequers first defeat of the season. Joe Hewer and Dan Harwood scored for the visitors but Ryan Harding, Dan Long and Gareth Preston scored the telling goals for hard-working Aston.

West Witney made the most of Chequers’ slip-up and took top spot after a 3-0 win over Ducklington Reserves. Tony McLeman, Chris Beechey and Andy Salkeld with a bullet header were all on target for Witney.

Mark Jewell and Richard Taylor scored for Brize Norton in their 2-0 win over Hanborough.

A single goal from Warwick Thompkins was enough to hand Chipping Norton Town a 1-0 win over Chad Park.

Mark Thomas, Chris Lawrence, Steve Bircher, Kristian Johnson and a rare Mick Cropper goal was the difference between the sides in FC Nomads 5-0 win over bottom side FC Mills.

Division Two
Basement boys Spartan Rangers Reserves picked up a valuable 3 points after their surprise 3-1 win over Middle Barton. Lewis Fowler scored for the hosts but goals from Steve Wright, Ben Lucas and John Clarke secured the points.

Charlbury Town Reserves drew 1-1 with Stanton Harcourt. Ashley Smith and Martin Cripps scored for Charlbury and Stanton respectively.

The points were also shared at Burwell Meadow where hosts Witney Royals Reserves drew 2-2 with Two Rivers. After a manic opening which saw first Two Rivers and then Royals scored through some calamitous defending, the game settled. Both sides found another goal each with Karl Shepherd and Mikey Piper scoring for Royals. Dave Manning and Martin Bungay found the back of the net for Rivers.

Southrop and Ducklington A also had to settle for a point a piece after their 1-1 draw. Simon Williams scored for Southrop with Ben Jackson scoring for Duck.

Division Three
With leaders West Witney Reserves out of action this week, second placed North Leigh B had the chance to take top spot. However hosts, Witney Royals A produced another good team performance to earn a 3-1 win against the promotion contenders. After an hour of solid defending and arguably against the run of play, Royals took the lead with Andy Cross scoring a brace. North Leigh pulled one back through Justin Timms but substitute Chris Moss killed the game off with a cool finish in the dying minutes of the game.

FC Chequers Reserves beat Kingham AB Reserves 3-1. Steve Foster bagged a brace with Dan Wheresbilton adding the third. Tom Edington replied for Kingham.

Relegation threatened Minster picked up another point in their well-earned 1-1 draw with high-flying Eynsham SSC. John Ayres gave the visitors a first half lead before Chris Baker levelled the tie for the hosts.

Chipping Norton Town Reserves went down 7-1 to Freeland. Neil Swann (2), George Wagerfield, Darius Hodaei and Dale Cox scored the goals with Rhys Bayliss netting the hosts consolation goal.

Division Four
Carterton Pumas remain unbeaten as they comfortably saw off Freeland B 4-2. Keiron Lace scored a hat trick in the win with Dave Wanless grabbing the other.

FC Hollybush beat Spartan Rangers A 2-1. Ed Brooks scored both the goals for the hosts with Lewis Stayte replying for Spartan.

Ducklington B lost 5-1 to unbeaten AFC Marlborough who remain 4 points off top spot. Lewis Charlett(2), Steve Foreman, Sam Fowler and Mark Luke all got on the score sheet as Steve Townsend netted for Duck.

Wychwood Forest Reserves ran away comfortable winners in their 8-0 thrashing of Corinthians. John Smales netted a fantastic 5-timer with Chris Jones (2) and Chris Read adding.

Eynsham SSC Reserves picked up only their second point of the season in with a plucky display against fellow strugglers, Combe Reserves. Eynsham and Combe who occupy bottom place and second from bottom spot respectively, scored a goal each either side of half time. Shaun Rowbotham and Dan Willis scored for Eynsham with Sam Benwell netting both for Combe.

Where next?

Match Reports - Week 22 Saturday 26th February 2011
Match Reports - Week 20 Saturday 12th February 2011

Latest photos

1 photo
My Photos
47 photos
My Photos

Witney & District FA newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.