Match Reports - Week 14

By Ant Barlow

Saturday 11th December 2010

John Fathers Oxfordshire Junior Shield

Witney & District clubs had mixed fortunes in the Junior Shield with 5 of 8 clubs progressing to the next round.
Witney Royals travelled to St Clements from the Chiltern Churches league. The W&D representatives won 4-2 with goals from Ryan Collerton (2), Jamie Timms and Jamie Kennedy.

Brize Norton beat Kingham 5-3 in an end to end match. Mark Jewell grabbed a hat trick with Richard Taylor netting two penalties.

Combe eased past Souldern with a 5-0 win. Martin Reeves scored four goals with the 5th, an own goal from the Banbury & District side.

FC Chequers put last season’s final day promotion defeat to AC Finstock behind them as they edged a narrow penalty win over the visitors. It finished 4-4 after 12- minutes, in a heated match, that saw Nathan Beckett, Shaun Rayfield, Stuart George and Dan Harwood scoring for the hosts with Ashley Overton (2), Sam Bowers and Jason Blackman levelling the tie for the visitors. In the shootout, Chequers keeper Danny Rayfield saved a penalty as his team mates held their nerve to win 4-2.

Despite farcically muddy conditions, Ducklington despatched Spartan Rangers 3-1. Spartan took the lead after Ray Read headed the ball into his own net. However two second half substitutes turned the tie when Darren Harris and Tom West were brought on. The subs shared the goals between them with Harris bagging a brace. West grabbed the other to seal the tie.

Of those that didn’t fare so well were Hanborough. They went down 4-0 to Cowley Crusaders. Aston were knocked out by Great Milton in a 5-1 defeat. Mike Bakers penalty was their only consolation.

FC Mills gave a good account of themselves coming from 3 down to draw 3-3 with Croperdy after 90 minutes. Mills scored again in extra time but could not match the hosts who held on to win 6-4. Mev Gundem, Pete Claridge, Lee Senior and Keiron Durrant were on the score sheet for Mills.

Division One
North Leigh moved into third place after thrashing Witney Wanderers 8-1. John Bishop scored for the hosts but Luke Simmonds scored a hat trick in the rout followed by strikes from Jason Lonsdale and Will Smalldon.

In the battle at the bottom, Chipping Norton beat FC Nomads 5-1. Aaron Witham scored a hat trick adding to goals form Rhys Warner-Carter and Warwick Thompkins. Steve Bircher replied for the vanquished visitors.

Hanborough beat Ducklington Reserves 1-0 with Arrun Hobley grabbing the game’s only goal.

Division Two
Ducklington A moved to the top of the table after a convincing 4-1 win over Brize Norton Reserves. Shaun Rawlings scored for the hosts in the first half but a Mark Hawkins double and goals from Lee Baker and Lee Litton settled the tie.

Witney Royals inflicted a first defeat upon Stanton Harcourt. The hosts took the lead through Matt Thompson but were pegged back minutes later when Billy Jones converted a controversially awarded penalty. However Steve Brasier netted another two in the second half, including a superb free kick to earn a 3-1 win and go third in the process.

Middle Barton remain unbeaten after a 3-0 win over Milton. Jack Eaglestone scored twice with Ashley Scearce adding.

Division Three
Freeland moved to the top of Division Three after thrashing Chipping Norton Reserves 9-0. Adrian Williams grabbed a hat trick, with Dan Alsworth and Sam Burton each grabbing a brace. Ryan Inch and Matt Hardy added further strikes.

West Witney Reserves move up one spot into second courtesy of a 3-1 win over Aston Reserves. Josh Sullivan, Ryan Field and Gary Smith scored the winning goals with Tim Green grabbing the consolation for Aston.

Tom Gonzales and Ben Davies scored in FC Chequers 2-1 win over FC Mills. Huw Neyroud scored for the hosts who failed to capitalise on a one man advantage after Richie Eastaff was sent off for Chequers, early in the second half.

Witney Royals A picked up their third win of the season after beating Kingham AB Reserves 2-1. Richard May capitalised on slack defending to give the hosts a first half lead. Jonty Russell then made the most of a mistake in the Royals defence to level the tie before Neil Pickering struck home from close range to hand Royals the lead. Kingham rarely troubled the hosts defence , which was strengthened by the return of Dan Harfleet who had been out for three months with injury.

Division Four
FC Hollybush recorded the biggest win in the W & D in recent history with a 22-0 annihilation of Eynsham SSC Reserves. Dan Smith finished the rout with a 10-goal haul and another W&D Division 4 record. Player Manager Eddie Brookes netted 5 himself with Dan Tasker picking up a hat trick. Paul Dray and Luke Champion completed the thrashing.

AFC Marlborough narrowly avoided a shock defeat to basement boys, Combe Reserves after coming back from a Sam Benwell first half goal. Steve Foreman scored two second half goals to steal the win for Marlborough.

Wychwood Forest Reserves beat Ducklington B 4-0 with Matt Herbert, Kevin Webb, Adam Harris and Dave Anstey all finding the back of the net.

Where next?

Match Reports - Week 15 Sarurday 8th January 2011
Match Reports - Week 13 Saturday 27th November 2010

Latest photos

First team squad
18 photos
First team squad
1st's Vs Charlbury
6 photos
1st's Vs Charlbury
My Photos
47 photos
My Photos

Witney & District FA newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.