Cup Reports - Week 2

By Ant Barlow

Saturday 10th April 2021

Groups start to take shape after game week 2

Ted Young Senior Cup - Group 1
All 100% records disappeared in Group 1 as sides failed to strike any meaningful blows in their bid to head towards the semi-finals.

Two of last week’s winners, Charlbury and Hook Norton, met at Charlbury with both sides missing out on the opportunity to make it two wins from two. In fact, Charlbury became the first side all season to take any points off their imperious opponents in hard earned draw. Felix Robertson scored for Charlbury only to be cancelled out by Max Green’s goal for Hook Norton. No further goals could be found and both sides left with a point.

Hailey and Carterton finally faced off against each other this season and also ended up battling out a score draw as they missed the opportunity to capitalise on sides above them dropping points. Jack Wood scored for Hailey with Tom Harvey replying for Carterton. The result leaves Hailey third and Carterton seventh as they picked up their first point of the campaign.

Spartan Rangers and Carterton Rangers have their first wins as they defeated Chadlington and Minster Lovell respectively. Rhys Woodward and Arun White both scored once each to give Spartan a 2-1 victory over Chadlington. Lee Woodward replying for Chadlington. Minster Lovell are the only side without a point in group one as they succumbed to Carterton Rangers at Monahan Way. Luke Manning and Chris Tingate both scored once each to give Rangers their first win and allow them to climb up to fourth in the process.

Ted Young Senior Cup - Group 2
Milton find themselves with an early three point advantage at the top of Group Two, the only side to maintain their 100% start. They made their lives difficult as they beat Hailey Reserves, Stephen Pearce managed to miss two penalties during the game. Fortunately for Milton the mistakes went unpunished. Although Ryan Holmes did score for Hailey, goals from Louis Breaks, Stephen Pearce and Jon Chapman secured all three points in the 3-1 win.

Witney Royals battled back from their defeat last week with a hard earned win over Carterton FC Reserves. Despite dominating possession, Carterton were wasteful in front of goal, their lack of game time perhaps a contributing factor as shot after shot failed to test the Royals keeper.

Royals slowly grew into the game and eventually countered out of their own half to send Luke Rippington free down the right hand side. His burst into the box left the defenders unable to put in a meaningful challenge and he fired into the back of the net, off the post.

Carterton kept up the pressure and on the stroke of half-time equalised. Royals failing to deal with a corner sufficiently enough and Dave Cross’ ball into the box cannoned into Nick Rose’s path who volleyed home for the equaliser.

The second half was much more even, but again Carterton had the better chances, winning multiple corners and forcing two good saves from the Royals keeper. But an inspired substitution saw the introduction of Ben Liddle and Ollie Nolan and after Royals broke from a poor Carterton free kick, Liddle made his way up the left wing, found Nolan in the middle who burst towards the box, shot round the Carterton defender and into the back of the net, leaving the keeper stranded and that’s how the game finished.

Wootton Sports and Stonesfield, last week’s two big winners, both came back to earth with a bump, as they both suffered defeats. Bletchington produced a much improved performance to beat Wootton, Tom Williams scored once and a Michael Trafford double gave Bletch a 3-0 win and all three points.

Enstone jumped from 6th to 4th and cancelled out their goal difference deficit in defeating previous league leaders Stonesfield 3-1. Rhys Warner-Carter scored for the second week in a row and was joined on the score sheet by Dan Bott and Kieran Watts. Luke Holdsworth got Stonesfield’s consolation, which could prove crucial as Stonesfield remain second on goal difference.

Watts Junior Cup - Group 3
Ducklington managed to win their first game of the revised format with a 1-0 victory over Wootton Sports Reserves. Duck, who had their rest week last week due to an odd number of teams in the group, controlled large portions of the game, only to find Wootton keeper James Bateman in inspired form as he made a number of good saves. But there was one strike he could not keep out, George Townsend’s 25 yard screamer found its way into the top corner and Duck saw out the game to grab all three points.

Aston and North Leigh are both off the mark with a point each as they cancelled each other out in a 1-1 draw at Aston. Luca James scored for North Leigh but Thom Allinson equalised for Aston to leave both sides winless after two games each.

Combe gave themselves a little bit of breathing space with a comprehensive victory over Eynsham SSC. Sam Coles scored for Combe with Ben Oates replying for Eynsham but that was as good as it got for Eynsham. Herbie Hamilton scored from the spot and Rory Ward’s brace finished off the scoring in a 4-1 win for the hosts as Combe went 3 points clear for the time being.

Watts Junior Cup – Group 4
Gaz Price was the hat-trick hero as he steered Kingham to victory over Spartan Rangers Reserves. Aaron Tipping also scored once in the 4-1 win which elevates Kingham into third place. Spartan Rangers Reserves replied through Fabio Fernandes but their Junior Cup hopes are on the ropes after the second successive defeat.

Cassington Rangers, who drew with Kingham last week, also scored four as they recorded their first win of the season. They also managed to keep a clean sheet against Milton Reserves in the 4-0 win. Jason Blackman scored twice for Rangers, with Nick Edwards and Gareth James adding a third and a fourth as Cassington jumped into the top two due to their superior goal difference. Milton drop to the bottom of the group.

Carterton Town B still occupy the summit of Group 4 after a 4-0 win over Chadlington Reserves. Tahir Alam followed up from his goal last week to notch a brace and Mark Williams followed suit in scoring two of his own as Town opened up a two point safety cushion.

Supplementary Cup – Group 5
Bampton United Reserves recorded the biggest margin of victory as they defeated Sherborne Harriers by 6 goals in their first game back after the resumption of the season. There were clearly little signs of rustiness as Bampton put six different scores on the score sheet. Steve Allery, Joe Paintin, Josh White, Gary Mitchell and Ed Norris all scored one apiece, Regan Pritchard fired in a brace to make it seven for Bampton. Josh Betteridge with a mere consolation for the home side as it finished 7-1

Chris Godfrey scored a hat-trick but still ended up on the losing side after Leafield Reserves went down 7-4 to Kingham All Black Reserves. Jake Godfrey, Jay Stonehouse and Brad Smith all scored a double each to put Kingham firmly in control and whilst Jason Bufton was able to score a fourth for Leafield, George Warren added a seventh for Kingham to make sure of all three points.

Brize Reserves recorded their second consecutive 2-2 draw as they held Witney Royals Reserves at Brize Rec. Joe Hatt scored once again, only for Joe Dallimore to reply. Zack Ryall gave Royals the lead but Scott Peaper restored parity and that’s how the game finished. The point enough to put Royals top for now.

Supplementary Cup – Group 6
Only two sides can boast 100% records in Group Six at the end of game week 2.
FC Mills played their opening fixture after sitting out last week and promptly delivered Spartan Rangers A’s first defeat of the cup. A resounding 4-1 win means they are already second having played a game less than the sides around them. John Chapman, Connor Smith, Darren Smith and Dan Hedges all scored once each for Mills. James Macke pulled one back for Spartan but 4-1 was the final score.

Hook Norton Reserves had a much more comfortable afternoon this weekend as they overcame Chipping Norton Town. Both sides one last week but there was only one side in this week’s encounter as Hook Norton won 4-0. Mitchell Faulkner was the pick of the bunch as he scored twice. Dom Hemmings and Harry Prickett both scored a goal each for the second week in a row to move Hook Norton to the top of the group.

Leafield have their first win of the competition after inflicting a second successive defeat on Stonesfield Reserves. A 2-0 victory moved Leafield to third in the group, goals from Ed Russell and Frank Mayne were enough for all three points at the full-time whistle.

Where next?

Saturday 17th April Football during Duke of Edinburgh funeral
Cup Reports - Week 1 Football returns at long last! By David Evans

Latest photos

First team squad
18 photos
First team squad
1st's Vs Charlbury
6 photos
1st's Vs Charlbury
My Photos
47 photos
My Photos

Witney & District FA newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.